Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gardens Can Give You Happiness

You are lucky

It will soon be the "Oh, you are lucky" season. those of you who play in the dirt, landscape and garden know what I mean. When the landscape begins to share its colorful flowers and roses start blooming, the perennial remarks begin:

"Oh, you are lucky to have such roses"
"Oh, you are lucky to have such rich soil"
"Oh, you are lucky that you don't have weeds" "
"Oh, you are lucky that you have the only yard without rocks"
"Your garden is beautiful, you must have a green thumb"

One day last summer I had an overdose of these remarks. The next person was going to be told that I did not have a green thumb, only two grimy hands, no fingernails, two calloused knees and an aching back. Luck had nothing to do with my garden, it was the result of plain, old hard work.

For two years we hauled away rocks and hauled in soil; and yet we had only a small front and side yard. I was planning to be very sarcastic, but I was lucky. The next person told me I was crazy to let a few flowers make a drudge out of me. Flowers were fine but not worth the work, I was silly to give up my usual weekend activities of sports on the TV just to work in the yard.

l never felt so sorry for anyone in all my life. How can anyone look at a flower garden and see nothing but work?

After she left I thought things over and decided I am lucky to have a place to garden and time to work in the yard. I am able to work outdoors in my front and backyard and consider the landscape garden a pleasure not a job.

When looking at my flowers I see friends; this friend gave me that plant, these came out of another friend's garden. We have made new friends through our garden. Working in the yard has brought me better health and peace of mind. I am happy when moving rocks with my little red wheelbarrows or remembering the time when I met a good old friend who helped me put on some solar garden lights.

We have fun with our garden. We had just finished "improving our soil with organic matter" when a woman asked what we did. Upon telling her, she wanted to go ask her "yard man" to do that for her. All we could tell her was "good luck." I am lucky, remembering the good and the amusing events of digging in the dirt; the beauty and the fragrance but not the work.

I can't think of a more pleasant way to spend a winter evening than to read and dream about the garden and am truly wide array of flowers - all kinds, sizes, shapes, scents and colors, their histories and even their names intrigue me. So the next time someone says, "Oh, you are lucky," I shall answer, "I certainly am."

In case you are unaware there is much more on the topic of solar garden lights. We make the topics simple, visit plant-care.com.

Believe And Achieve

No comments:

Post a Comment